Senior Accountant / Controller
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Operations, you will contribute to the ongoing success of the enterprise by ensuring the integrity of the company’s finances, providing critical financial reporting and advice, guide the conversion of our financial systems and administer continuous improvement of those systems, supervise the work of our part time bookkeeper, and routinely coordinate with staff, vendors, and clients.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA is a plus
- Must have experience with accounting procedures in Professional Services companies
- Minimum of seven years related experience in positions of increasing responsibility, including improving business processes
- Experience with automated accounting systems; knowledge of Unanet is a plus
- Accrual accounting experience in an exclusive project centric environment
- Experience in overseeing month-end closing and reporting
- Payroll processing preferably using Paychex, or similar outsourced payroll provider
- Strong Excel skills for performance of complex calculations as well as preparing appealing presentations
- Cost accounting, fixed price and time & materials project tracking along with billable utilization analysis.
- Monitoring journal entry adjustments for % complete projects
- Preparation of monthly management packages, quarterly board reports, year-end closing and reporting
- Calculation and reporting on indirect costs along with indirect rate analysis and maintenance
- Supporting proposal development with respect to cost and profit consideration
- Experience with federal government accounting practices preferred
- Supporting HR in benefits administration, 401K management, and 5500 filings
- Treasury management
- Cash management, collections, and cash-flow projections
- Annual budget preparation
- Business acumen. You are skilled at maintaining accurate and complete financial information and delivering useful financial reports with the utmost integrity. You understand how your work contributes to the long term success of the business. You identify short- and long-term challenges and implement creative solutions to address those challenges.
- Collaborative. You communicate and coordinate effectively at every level. You share information, work cooperatively, seek out relevant information, decide on the appropriate steps, and achieve the desired results.
- Great listener. You take the time to learn what’s valuable and important to others. Your team members and other stakeholders feel like you understand them.
- Service driven. You are client-focused and committed to providing the highest level of service while remaining aligned with the mission of the organization.
- Effective communicator. Your communication is clear and direct, both written and oral.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- You will join a group of professionals who are passionate about the work and who enjoy working together, serving clients in this niche market.
- Your work will make a measurable difference. You will build on a proud legacy of high quality work and bring even greater efficiency and service to our clients and staff.
- You have the opportunity to grow professionally as the company grows within its dynamic markets.
- We offer a competitive compensation plan that includes medical, vision and dental insurance, life insurance, short-term and long term disability, tuition reimbursement, profit sharing, 401k plan, opportunities for stock ownership, and more.
- We are located conveniently located in downtown Rockville, with free parking and a short walk from Metro.
Please send a resume, three references with phone numbers and email addresses, along with a cover letter describing why you fit this position to:
History Associates Incorporated
Attn: Doris Miles, Director of Human Resources
300 N. Stonestreet Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850
Only individuals with the required qualifications, skills, and experience will be considered and notified. Individuals will be required to pass a background check and an assessment test.
History Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer